How to Make Your Home Smell Amazing: Out with the Bad Odour, In with the Good!
A great-smelling house should not come out of a can. In fact, the worst thing you can do is try to disguise bad smells in your home with a can of air freshener because, not only is this a temporary fix, but as it starts to wear off, the fragrance mixes it with the foul odor and creates a very unpleasant and peculiar smell. Therefore, the real solution is tackling the bad smell head-on!
If you don’t have any existing foul smells in your house, you can skip right to the tips to make your home smell amazing; for everyone else, take a look at some of the most common root causes of bad smells in the home, and how you can get rid of them.
What Causes Bad Odours in Your Home?
While the functioning of every household is unique, as is every individual living in it, there are many homes that experience bad odours which are caused by the same things. Let’s take a look at some of these below.
It’s no surprise that garbage causes a real stink in your house, however, not all garbage smells bad instantly. It’s important to note what type of garbage you are disposing of in your bin, and ensure that anything that will smell bad immediately is quickly tied in the trash bag and taken outside to the garbage collection bin.
Another reason why garbage ends up stinking up the place is because it isn’t always taken out on time. Don’t wait for that to happen; make sure you take the trash out every night so that you don’t wake up to a foul smell in the morning!
The combination of moisture and bacteria creates a foul smell; so, unless you’re going to wash your gym clothes immediately after a workout, you need to take some measures to ensure that they don’t cause the whole place to reek! One of the best ways to avoid this is by airing out sweaty gym clothes and allowing them to dry completely before throwing them in the hamper or washing machine. This will not get rid of the smell on the clothes altogether but it will reduce it to the point where the odour is easily contained in the hamper.
For wet and/or smelly gym shoes, the same principle applies – air them out until they are dry. Keeping your gym shoes out in the sun is a simple and effective way to kill bacteria and neutralise foul odours while another great tip is to sprinkle baking soda inside the shoes to absorb the bad smell.
That overbearing stale smell in your home could be coming from musty carpets. Particularly during the wet season, carpets absorb moisture and promote mould which gives off a strong, stale smell. On the other hand, a house that has been locked up for a long time will also smell musty and require a deep clean + extra ventilation to get rid of it.
It should be noted that dirty carpets will start to smell bad after enough time has passed between cleans and therefore, will require a thorough clean to freshen up. A good trick to remove the musty odour from your carpet is to absorb the smell with baking soda (and lots of it) before vacuuming the carpet 8 – 12 hours later.
The thing about garbage disposals is that not a lot of people think to clean it because the rubbish goes in and then disappears. While that’s true, you should definitely be cleaning your garbage disposal every couple of months to keep it sanitary and functioning properly.
Along with this, there is a simple and super quick way to eliminate bad smells from your garbage disposal and replace them with fresh, natural scents!
To do this, follow the steps below:
- Cut small pieces of lemon and orange peels.
- Distribute them into empty ice trays.
- Fill the trays with water and freeze.
- When frozen, run the cubes through the garbage disposal.
Not only will this keep your garbage disposal smelling fresh but the peels will help clean off the blades owing to their mild abrasion.
After a shower, the bathroom smells amazing thanks to the hair body products used; but after someone has gone in to use the toilet, not so much! Apart from this, bathrooms can also develop a musty smell if they are left damp for a prolonged period of time.
The best way to counter moisture that gets trapped inside your bathroom is to use an exhaust fan while it is occupied. Alternatively, you can air out the bathroom by leaving the window and door open for a few hours. The goal here is to dry the bathroom interiors as quickly as possible to prevent mould and musty odours. As far as toilet and shower drain smells are concerned, we will address those in the tips coming up next.
Tips to Make Your Home Smell Amazing
Finally, let’s talk about the simple things you can do to make your home smell really good. The results are sure to leave you feeling pleased and relaxed when you walk into a room and a fresh fragrance is the first thing to greet you!
Here are some excellent ways to bring in the good smells after you’ve gotten rid of the bad ones.
- Simmer potpourri in a saucepan and allow the aroma to fill the room
- Grind lemon peels in your garbage disposal once a week
- Add 2 tablespoons of vanilla essence to 1 cup of water; mix in an oven tray and bake for 45 minutes at 140°C
- Use toilet bombs to keep the bowl clean and smelling fresh
- Add a toilet rim block for added fragrance
- Eliminate plastic shower curtains that don’t dry up quickly
- Use a squeegee and mop to dry the floor after you shower
- Add plants/flowers pots with sweet smells
- Keep your bathroom clean and free of bacteria which causes bad odors
- Add a few drops of essential oil to your air-con filters
- Freshen up your carpets with baking soda every 2-3 weeks (leave the powder overnight and vacuum the next day)
- Decorate your interiors with flowers and plants that emit natural fragrances such as eucalyptus
- Use diffusers with essential oils for a long-lasting fragrance in the room
- Make a DIY air freshener with 1 cup water, 2 tablespoons vodka, and a few drops of essential oil (you can combine essential oils as per your preference); pour the concoction in a spray bottle and use it to instantly freshen up a room
- Increase ventilation in the house for fresher indoor air
Along with the tips and solutions above, another surefire way to make your home smell incredible is by hiring a professional house cleaning service that will leave the air crisp! Maid For You is committed to providing the best cleaning results that include a spick and span, awesome-smelling house!
Adriana Aziz is the operations manager at MaidForYou. With over 6 years of experience managing cleaning operations, she knows all the best hacks when it comes to cleaning residential and commercial buildings. With expert experience in managing house cleaning operations, interior design and logistics. She spends her free time with her family and as a freelance food critic.