Cleaning Tips, Guides & Resources
Winter Cleaning Checklist
Have you ever noticed how different seasons present different sets of challenges when it comes to cleaning your home? For example, during summer, you need to pay attention to areas that are prone to mould due to the warm and humid climate. Winter, on the other hand, sees a lot of dust and bacteria buildup in the household with family members spending more time inside the house. Aside from this, there are a few additional maintenance tasks that the winter months call for, all of which help prepare your home for the drop in temperature.
Generally speaking, winter cleaning and maintenance is important for keeping your home healthy and energy-efficient throughout the cold season. With the cozy, sweater weather approaching, the last thing you want is to have problems with your HVAC systems, or clogged gutters which often lead to costly house repairs. Nevertheless, there is one surefire way to get your home ready for the season ahead, and that involves a comprehensive winter cleaning checklist!
By getting a headstart on cleaning, especially the more specific cleaning tasks that are in order, you will have a much easier time keeping your house in tiptop condition all through the winter.
So, without wasting any time, here is everything you need to do, compiled into a convenient, room-by-room winter cleaning checklist. Let’s begin!
A hot meal is just the thing you look forward to on a cold day! In fact, with many individuals staying indoors, cooking and baking become more frequent activities in the household. For these reasons, and even otherwise, you want your kitchen to be well-organised and functional.
Use the cleaning checklist below to get your kitchen ready for winter.
- Defrost freezer
- Deep clean refrigerator + freezer
- Clean behind and underneath refrigerator
- Clean oven interior and removable components (trays, racks, etc)
- Clean oven door
- Clean gas range + stovetop
- De-grease vent hood
- Clean microwave
- Clean out kitchen cabinets and drawers
- Clean and organise pantry
- Scrub backsplash
- Wipe down exteriors of all appliances
- Clean kitchen sink
- Wipe down counters and other flat surfaces
- Wash and sanitise garbage bins
- Clean and freshen up garbage disposal
- Clean out area beneath sink
- Check pipes for leaks or damage
If you enjoy soaking in a hot bath in the warmth of your bathroom, it is important to ensure that the bathtub, and everything around you, is clean and sanitary! On top of this, some maintenance checks may be required to ensure that your plumbing is in good working order for the winter season ahead.
Take a look at our bathroom winter cleaning checklist to stay on track.
- Clear out empty/expired products
- Wipe down window ledge
- Clean exhaust/vent
- Clean and organise bathroom vanity
- Clean mirror
- Wash bathroom window
- Clean shower door
- Scrub wall tiles
- Clean toilet bowl interior and exterior
- Clean and sanitise toilet seat and lid
- Scrub bathtub + faucet
- Clean and unclog shower drain
- Clean shower area
- Clean and sanitise all bathroom fittings (taps, showerhead, hooks, holders, etc)
- Clean tile grout
- Wash bathroom sink
- Clean underneath sink
- Wash bathroom floor
- Clean and sanitise dustbin
- Check all plumbing fixtures for leakages/damage
The places where you and your family gather are generally the most used rooms in the house. This includes the living room, dining room, and perhaps a separate sitting room or TV room (if you have one). With the additional activity and foot traffic that takes place here, it is only natural for these living areas to get messy and disorganised fairly quickly. So, if you want to keep a space neat and clean, you need to stay on top of things.
Check off the winter cleaning chores below to truly enjoy family time in your favourite living space.
- Launder cushion/pillow covers
- Deep clean upholstered furniture
- Spot clean sofa/couch stains
- Clean and sanitise armrests and backrests
- Clean area beneath the cushions
- Vacuum/clean window treatments
- Dust lamp shades and lighting fixtures + bulbs
- Dust bookshelves + books
- Vacuum underneath couch
- Clean glass surfaces
- Dust ornaments
- Dust electronic screens
- Wipe and organise wires/cables
- Dust TV unit
- Wipe down tables and chairs
- Dust and sanitise remotes
While your bedroom is probably smaller than other rooms in your house, this is where almost all of your personal items are kept, most of which are stored in cupboards and drawers. So, with this many things stored in a relatively small space, staying organised, and keeping your room clean can be a challenge. Particularly around winter, you want to make sure that everything you need is easily accessible, and that means having to reorganise your closet accordingly.
After completing the bedroom cleaning checklist below, those long winter nights will be a lot more cozy and relaxing!
- Launder bed linen (bed sheet, duvet cover, pillow covers, etc)
- Wash comforter, blankets, etc
- Wash pillows
- Deep clean mattress
- Wipe down bed frame
- Vacuum bed plank
- Clean ceiling fan
- Dust bookshelf + books
- Dust light fixtures and lamp shades
- Dust furniture
- Vacuum under the bed
- Clean and organise nightstand
- Organise shoe storage
- Purge closet items
- Organise winter wear for quick accessibility
- Clean mirror
- Put in fresh closet/shelf liners
If you’re thinking we’ve missed out on some crucial areas in our winter cleaning checklist, that’s because they are all here! These chores are applicable to all the rooms in your house, so be sure to get them done as you go about cleaning each room. See below.
- Dust furniture and other surfaces
- Remove cobwebs
- Clean ceiling fans
- Dust light bulbs and fixtures
- Dust wall frames + artwork
- Dust showpieces
- Clean carpets and rugs
- Vacuum underneath rugs
- Wipe baseboards
- Dust doors and door frames
- Wash windows
- Clean window treatments
- Wipe switchboards
- Clean floors
Winter Maintenance Checklist
As we mentioned earlier, there are some important things to do to get your home ready for the winter. These include seasonal maintenance checks and tasks that will not only safeguard your house from potential damage, but also ensure that you and your family remain comfortable throughout the winter season.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Clean and inspect your fireplace; seek professional assistance if needed
- Clean/replace HVAC filters
- Have your ducts inspected and cleaned
- Replace fire alarm batteries
- Service your washer and dryer
- Inspect air ducts for cracks or damage
- Inspect windows and doors for leakages
- Clean out your rain gutters
When winter is approaching, the best thing to do is to get ahead of cleaning and oganising so that you have an easier time maintaining your home when the cold climate sets in! In preparation, our winter cleaning checklist above covers all the big and little tasks that one must complete before their home is ready for the season ahead. If you are pressed for time, prioritise the winter maintenance checklist before moving on to the room-by-room cleaning chores.
We’re Committed To 200% Customer Satisfaction Each And Every Time
If you’re not happy with our work, we make it right!